The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday December 24, 2018 at 11:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 24, 2018 at 11:03, highfigh said...
You didn't look at the URC MX Editor (or whatever you need to use for that particular remote)?

Remember that comment about the strangest situations? This client LOVES his MX500 that's a dozen years old and in perfect clean condition. He modernized his TV and AVR and wants to use the same remote. Try finding the files for THAT!

I'll be putting codes into another URC model, then teaching them to the MX500. It's what the client wants and will pay for, despite the lack of backup that all more modern remotes give us.

Which remote? Hard to help if we don't know this. :)

How could it be that you're not expecting an insulting response to that? I know it's an attempt at humor, but it's ridiculous. I cited the model number of the TV and the receiver and you need me to tell you the remote control model number? You really don't.

For the purposes of this discussion I only looked up and copied the illustration of the TV remote. But surely you can find a remote when you have the component's model number!

Fins,
You're kidding. Of course you know why I ask. You've either forgotten about this or you haven't put in any similar models and tried to control them from codesets made to emulate the remote controls for models like this.

This is the remote control for the Samsung model that the customer has. Note the lack of buttons for discrete commands such as HDMI 1. Imagine programming a macro on an RTI or URC remote to turn the TV on and set it to HDMI 2. Do you see the buttons needed for that?

Typically, RTI and URC sets of IR commands give the commands that are found on the factory remote for the product. This is the factory remote for the product. There are no buttons on the remote for HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI 3, etc. (I apologize for writing so simply and repetitively, but you don't understand the issue. I'm trying to make it clear.)

It's very possible that the RTI or URC file for this TV model has EXACTLY and ONLY the commands shown on this remote: Power toggle, Home, Vol up, Vol Down, Ch up, Ch dn, a cursor pad, and the few other commands you see on this remote. If that were the case, then no discrete commands other than volume and channel would be available for controlling this TV.

Sure, someone has probably tried out remote sets NOT specifically made for this TV model, and has mucked about with several of them to see which discrete codes -- for other models -- work on this TV. In fact, I'm depending on someone to have done that. But it's unlikely that such a codeset would be listed with the model number for this TV. So how many codesets will I have to try out? Why would I have to reinvent this particular wheel by trying out different codesets when some RC member probably knows already? And see, the answer was only a question and several hours away.

I've been doing mostly commercial systems for a few years now, so this problem has not come up before.

That's why.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse