The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Saturday December 22, 2018 at 13:16
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On December 22, 2018 at 12:59, buzz said...
Modern music marketing attempts to break through the noise of typical listening environments (autos and phones) by compressing the release. Ancient LP's did not use these draconian levels of dynamic range compression. (Mostly because the marketers hadn't yet figured this out and they didn't have the sophisticated hardware)

In my opinion, the media sold to the public should be uncompressed and the players should apply an appropriate level of compression to match the playback environment. Unfortunately, this concept would be shunned by the marketers who would feel that they lost control of the situation, the audiophiles would be up in arms about "compression" in playback, and I doubt that the general public would understand what to do. Plus, the playback hardware manufacturers would be grumpy about the few extras cents of cost.

How much compression was used depends on the genre of music- lots of rock LPs have a ton of compression because they wanted it to sound louder than it actually was and along with limiting, they were able to get the drums to kick people in the teeth without actually exceeding the saturation limits of the tape. So much was written & recorded for radio that it caused a lot of problems for some stations because they were already using too much compression/limiting that when a loud part in a song came along, it actually became quieter at that point. The big guitar chord in Journey's 'Wheel In The Sky' is a great example of this.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse