Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 39 made on Saturday December 22, 2018 at 12:59
buzz
May 2003
Compression is not necessarily evil. There are multiple types of "compression". One type (MP3, for example) is an attempt at data file size reduction. Very aggressive MP3 data compression can have ugly sonic consequences. FLAC has no audible artifacts. One could could rip a CD to FLAC, then use this FLAC file to remaster the CD. In terms of data recovered after playing both CD's, there would be no difference in the data streams. If one looked at raw data error recovery  events while playing the CD's, the correction signatures would be different due to a different set of media physical defects.

Another type of "compression" is dynamic range compression. Used properly, dynamic range compression can be very beneficial. For example, if the noise level in a moving auto or on a train is in the 70-80 dBA range (on commuter trains that I regularly use it's actually closer to 85-90 dBA) and you are attempting to listen to a source with an 80 dB or so dynamic range, the quiet stuff will be lost in the noise while the louder stuff will be at or above the threshold of pain. Dynamic range compression allows one to experience more of the musical elements without the pain. I do not appreciate a high level of compression at home.

Modern music marketing attempts to break through the noise of typical listening environments (autos and phones) by compressing the release. Ancient LP's did not use these draconian levels of dynamic range compression. (Mostly because the marketers hadn't yet figured this out and they didn't have the sophisticated hardware)

In my opinion, the media sold to the public should be uncompressed and the players should apply an appropriate level of compression to match the playback environment. Unfortunately, this concept would be shunned by the marketers who would feel that they lost control of the situation, the audiophiles would be up in arms about "compression" in playback, and I doubt that the general public would understand what to do. Plus, the playback hardware manufacturers would be grumpy about the few extras cents of cost.

Hosting Services by ipHouse