The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 31 made on Friday December 21, 2018 at 01:59
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I have two opinions right now. One is that the article should be allowed to die. The other is that everyone should know what we're talking about.

Fortunately, that second opinion was just validated by the fact that I've had a Chrome tab open for several days, and I can copy and paste.

Thus, here's the article. Font and emphasis changes have been removed due to my copying it to Word, then to this editor. But the words are all there, intact.

Hands-On: Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster Turntable and DAC Perfect for Millennial Vinyl Fans

The $449 Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster is the perfect turntable for the vinyl-curious, providing good quality sound and an easy installation process.
Hands-On: Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster Turntable and DAC Perfect for Millennial Vinyl Fans

The $449 Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster turntable and $399.00 Pre Box S2 Digital DAC make for the perfect budget-conscious vinyl setup for those looking to explore the medium without breaking the bank.

Andrew Nichols · December 17, 2018

Custom installers and audio geeks alike understand the value of vinyl, but for many others, the idea of a turntable and vinyl might seem a bit archaic and daunting. If those descriptors apply to you or your customers, Pro-Ject has done an excellent job creating turntables for the average consumer with above-average specs and quality.

Prior to receiving the Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster, I was curious about (but admittedly naive towards) vinyl, since my Dad listened to music via a turntable when I was a kid but I was never allowed to touch the fancy-looking contraption.
I had no idea where to start, but thankfully Pro-Ject’s turntables and Pre Box S2 Digital DAC are very user-friendly, only needing a few quick connections and a software download in order to be played via my custom-built PC with JBL 305P studio monitors.

Installation and setup could not have been easier. As a PC user, the process was fairly cut-and-dry: I plugged in the turntable's power cable, routed a USB to RCA cable from the turntable into the DAC, connected the DAC via USB to my computer, and I was all set.

At least on Windows 10, my computer was able to auto-detect and install the necessary drivers for both the turntable and DAC.

RecordMaster Helps Bring Vinyl into the 21st Century

The turntable itself feels like a premium product; It’s heavy, well-detailed, and operates with virtually no platter noise or distortion.

The turntable’s Ortofon OM10 pickup combined with a RecordDoctor clamp made it so I experienced no popping, scratching, or haziness, something I was accustomed to in the setups my friends and family own.

All of the signature feel and sound of vinyl is ever-present, with a few select records like Porcupine Tree’sFear of a Blank Planet and Opeth’s Damnation sounding particularly vivid and full of warmth.

It seems perfect for my fellow Millennials who are looking to break into the vinyl world with a quality turntable without spending a small fortune. The Millennial market is growing rapidly, and as integrators slowly field more requests for turntables in homes, Pro-Ject is a name to remember.

One of the coolest parts about the RecordMaster is the ability to digitalize records via USB, giving users the option to carry over timeless classics and new purchases to their PC or Mac for mobile listening (with a side benefit of not having to purchase the same album twice).

Read Next: RecordDoctor Clamp Is Simple, Effective Turntable Accessory
While the digitalization function was not a feature I found myself using often, I love the flexibility that it provides. I ended up digitalizing my friend’s old, beloved copy of Cream’s Live Cream album for him and my rare copy of The Mountain Goats Beautiful Rat Sunset. After a few tweaks with the software, I found the digitalizing process intuitive and stress-free.

After living with the system for a few months, I’ve noticed my whole family has come to listen to a lot more vinyl than I anticipated, to the point where my Mom went and dug out her old records from storage!

While I initially expected to use the system as little more than a cool novelty when entertaining friends, in reality, I’ve been using it heavily (especially on the weekends when I can really jam out by connecting it to the household Sonos system).

It also helps that the turntable features some seriously good looks. I got mine in a glossy, deep red finish which pops beautifully and contrasts the RecordMaster’s minimalist design.

Digital DAC is a Massive Upgrade to Sound Quality

The Pre Box S2 Digital also exceeded my expectations. Coming from a cheap Fiio E10K USB DAC, I could immediately see the difference in quality between the two, even when listening via streaming services like Spotify and Pandora.

It’s similar to going from cheap off-brand earbuds to a nice pair of open-back headphones; the soundstage is wider and I find myself able to pick out elements of tracks I never noticed before with the cheaper DAC. The DAC comes with 7 selectable digital filter characteristics for those who like to play around with their audio experience, but I found myself sticking to the default settings most of the time.

For the sake of comparison, I used the Fiio DAC alongside my turntable to see if I could tell the difference. I put on “Thick As A Brick” by Jethro Tull (vintage vinyl from 1972), plugged in the Fiio DAC, and was stunned by how flat the record sounded. After setting up the Pre Box again I felt spoiled. This is an area I suggest integrators stress the importance of not skimping on when discussing options with clients.

Related: CE Pro 100 Names Top Turntable Brands

That said, I have experienced a few small issues with the DAC, with most of them being software issues. Specifically, I had an issue with the drivers not updating properly when I initially plugged it into my PC, and as a result, my computer faded in and out of recognizing the DAC. As a temporary fix, I found by unplugging and plugging back in the USB power cable I was able to force my PC to detect the DAC and avoid some of the technical issues in the short term.
To Pro-Ject's credit, its customer support was able to determine the problem after a few back-and-forth emails, and ever since it’s been smooth sailing.

The other issue I had was on arrival. Once I unpacked and got the DAC running, when I attempted to unplug the 5V power cable the housing around the female-end came loose and fell to the floor. I've not been able to reattach it, resulting in me only being able to power the unit via USB (which is what I use with my computer).

While it's unlikely that integrators would use the DAC without a computer, being aware of the delicacy of this component is important. I'm guessing this was a shipping issue, as every other piece was in otherwise perfect condition.

Final Thoughts

Outside of those small complaints, I've been impressed with the quality of both products throughout my testing. While I was initially skeptical, especially of the benefits of a higher-quality DAC, I’m convinced that both products would make for an excellent addition to any music lovers' home.

It also seems perfect for my fellow Millennials who are looking to break into the vinyl world with a quality turntable without spending a small fortune. The Millennial market is growing rapidly, and as integrators slowly field more requests for turntables in homes, Pro-Ject is a name to remember.

Pricing Information:
•Essential III RecordMaster $449.00
•Pre Box S2 Digital DAC $399.00
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse