The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Wednesday December 19, 2018 at 01:08
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 18, 2018 at 23:58, buzz said...
I wouldn’t bother attempting this stunt with a Project class turntable outfitted with an OM-10.

I would. These days people have so little experience listening to ANY music on a quality system that it's impossible to say that they would recognize any drawbacks to an OM-10, as well as recognize the superiority of a CD.

Back in the past....caution: artsy-fartsy New Age Stuff

In the early 70s there was a thing called Touch For Health (it still exists). One of the things they would do was a test to point out bad stuff (vibrations). You'd hold your right arm straight out sideways from your body, then bend the elbow so the forearm went forward.

You'd then hold something predicted to have bad vibrations in your left hand. If indeed it DID have bad vibrations, a person could push down on your right hand and your arm could not resist the push -- the arm would go down. If you were holding something with good vibrations, it was near impossible to push down the arm. This method was suggested for testing, say, vegetables in supermarkets. Real New Age Stuff.

When CDs came out and the initial ones sounded all screechy, I wondered if anyone had ever done a TFH test while listening to them. See, I had a girlfriend in college who was quite a wonderful violinist, and more than once I listened to her practicing from close up. VIOLINS MAKE HORRIDLY SCREECHY SOUNDS. My experience of hearing this, from a pro, at about five feet made me wonder if all the initial screechy sounding CDs weren't perhaps the accurate recordings. Nobody ever tested for that with the Touch For Health test.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse