The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 82 made on Monday December 10, 2018 at 15:27
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
Nest/Ring are upgrades for regular people. They replace the $20-50 typical push button door bell. Yes they are a couple hundred bucks...just like Sonos is a couple hundred bucks more than say a CD boombox or the Nest thermostat price compared to a cheapo thermostat. They are affordable "smart upgrades". And they are awesome upgrades. With an app you can monitor your front door. This would have cost thousands of dollars before and the user interface wouldn't have been nice.

Ring 1 was ugly and cheap looking but Ring 2 is fine. Nest is fine. These devices look as good as they can IMO. They have to hold batteries cameras mics a push button and the circuitry to make all those things work and transmit over wifi. These devices will not work everywhere. They wont hold up in a high traffic environment. They wont last as long as low tech door bells when directly exposed to the elements. I realize that people shouldnt expect them to but you know how people are..."my old door bell was 50 years old and still kicking".

Everything has its place. If you mount a Ring or Nest doorbell on the front of your townhouse in Chicago it will be stolen before the sun sets. Especially since everyone knows what they are. All you need is an app on your phone and you have this magical thing you cant even recreate for 3 or 4 times the cost using other products.

Flushmount stainless lasts and looks good. I prefer it over eholovision or other custom plates. It can be made secure and no one wants to steal it because they have no use for it.

I am pretty sure the disty said that doorbirds are bricked when reported stolen. All of them should do that. You should be able to open your app and press settings icon and click "device stolen" and have it listed as a stolen product that cant be activated.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse