The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday December 8, 2018 at 20:33
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
I’m trying to decide the best way for a system design and am curious to y’alls thoughts.

I have a golf resort project that’s been going on for about 4 years. It’s an old plantation with a bunch of separate buildings that include the original mansion, a 12 bedroom inn, the clubhouse, pro shop, cart barn, security, a couple admin offices, and some cottages. There is one DTV dish at the mansion serving all the buildings. DTV service and internet/network is distributed over fiber to all the buildings.

My concerns are the mansion, clubhouse, and inn where I have Elan controlling TVs, audio, and lights. In the inn we installed a TV and music in the lobby area and the gym. In all of these buildings there are three networks. The private network for club business, a guest network, and then a hidden network for the elan system. Because Elan can only have one system on a network, all three buildings function as one large control system (the master controller is in the mansion, the other buildings have controllers in extender mode). Now to add another factor, I also have wattboxes on each building, and they all show up under one client in my OVRC. There is also an OVRC hub on the system. I have also setup some OVRC Home options for the person that is head of maintenance so he can reboot directv receivers and other things remotely.

Here’s my issue. They just finished two new VIP cottages that are getting audio and control. So what I can’t decide on is if these cottages should also be part of the hidden elan network so the control is all part of one system, or if they should be completely independent. The cottages will have remotes and in-wall keypads for guests to be able to operate the TVs and audio.

The advantage of being part of the same system is I think it will be simpler for staff that is already used to the one system on the app, and the wattboxes will still be on the same account. The disadvantage is Guests won’t ever be able to download the elan app for more flexible control of music. (Although I don’t really see that happening anyway)

The advantage of making each of the cottages totally independent is that end users could use the app. Also, the cottages would still work if the controller in the mansion died. The downside is I expect more phone calls from staff that get lost trying to switch between systems on the app. And my maintenance could be a bit more complicated. And the multiple OVRC accounts would add some complexity for myself and I assume the head of mainetence. I don’t know if a customer can be granted access to multiple OVRC locations.

What’s your thoughts?
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse