Your Universal Remote Control Center
Custom Installers' Lounge Forum - View Post
Up level
Up level
The following page was printed from


Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday December 2, 2018 at 22:38
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
This is where mislabeling of "adaptors" as "baluns" might be what bit you in the ass in the past.

A balun should have infinite resistance between its analog audio input and its CAT output. This is accomplished with a transformer. That gives you ground isolation, the lack of which is probably why other products have given you hum.

An adaptor incorrectly called a balun -- and they exist -- directly connects a hot lead to one wire of a CAT pair and connects that hot lead's ground to the other wire of that pair. No ground isolation results. Hum is likely.

Believe it or not, a car audio device intended to reduce hum might work for you. It's two audio isolation transformers with RCA cables coming out of each end. I think these wholesale in the twenty dollar range. Jensen transformers will do the same thing, more cleanly, with better frequency response and richer pricing.

Unlike "baluns," you won't need one of these at each end. You'll want to see if you get less hum with it at the sending end or at the receiving end.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse