Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Saturday December 1, 2018 at 02:55
davidcasemore
January 2003
On November 30, 2018 at 23:34, Fins said...
... you can do some things to try to reduce damage or help reduce the odds. Most strikes aren’t going to happen near the wire. But without any protection, I’ve seen lightning run through the ground hundreds of yards through tree roots. And I’ve seen where it has traveled probably a thousand yards down a barb wire fence, then jump to a buried wire where the two paths cross. Usually those strikes are degraded enough that surge protection can help. When I installed invisible fences we saw some amazing damage until Panamax designed a surge protector for the fences. But with close hits the Panamax was usually sacrificed.

Agreed.

Induction is not your friend here. The strike doesn't even have to be that close. You may not even see a failure until many small surges later.

TPD (in earlier post by Don Heany) is my go-to. ITW is also very good. Both companies make products designed for just about every protocol and wiring scheme we work with (IDC Punch-down, RJ-45, RJ-11, RS-232, RS-this, that and the other, Cat5/6, Dog,too, speaker, cameras, lights, action, BNC, gate power, landscape lighting, phone system extensions, gate intercoms and more!)

Most importantly:

1. Use fiber when you have that option. This gets rid of the problem completely.

2. If installing surge protection you should have a surge device at each end of the run.

3. The surge devices should be installed as close to the exit or entry of the structure as possible.

4. The surge device must be grounded to the electrical service ground.

Arlington Industries (my favorite company) makes an awesome box which can be located outside on a wall, fence or free-standing. A little DIN rail and the proper TPD product and you're good to go.

[Link: aimedia.co]
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!

Hosting Services by ipHouse