The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday November 30, 2018 at 02:58
tomciara
Loyal Member
May 2002
I finished working at a house that had 5 different receivers, some 2 channel and some surround. They fed, independently of course, 6 or 8 different rooms of audio. Pulled them. Now Sonos works very nicely everywhere.

Two rooms had monitors fed by component video, with HDMI to component converters. One room had a cat5 between TV and the component shelves, and the other did not. The cat5 room allowed for a PlayBar and Connect:Amp to accomplish 5.1.

The other room was an issue, with no cat5 in place, and the rear channel speaker wiring coming out to a cabinet 15 feet away, with no wire runs possible.

It did have a shielded 4 conductor cable between the two, which I punched down to pins 1,2,3 and 6, hoping I could interconnect the PlayBar and Connect:Amp. No go.

***Take careful note that the app now allows the Connect:Amp to set up for surround, no command line setup needed. HOWEVER, I have had two setups now which allowed me to choose the Connect:Amp, paused to configure the room, produced no error messages, but DID NOT WORK. No surround speaker output. I think it's a bug in the app and let them know.

I ran a cat5 across the floor and added the amp again and surround came to life. Went back to the four conductor and it died. So that was a fail.

Went back to the truck, grabbed a BEAM and an AMP. They set up for surround, with no Ethernet connection required, and began playing very quickly. Wish I'd tried it a couple hours earlier! It's a nice problem solver. No cable required. The Beam is the only part of the entire system connected to the router, BTW. Everything else is SonosNet.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse