The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Monday November 26, 2018 at 18:02
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
I quoted both your responses in this single reply because they are related.

On November 26, 2018 at 09:08, 1234tech said...
Good points. I have been installing gear since the early 90s and well vested in what we do. But just recognizing the industry is changing. It is my opinion there will always be a job for the pro but the number of jobs that require the type of control we install isn't near the number of jobs that diy and iot devices will serve. As our customers experience these diy and iot devices there will be more pressure on the value we add.

I am just saying that for a small home or condo with a dozen or so light switches, a tstat, a doorbell and a camera or two and some Sonos along with a Smart TV and soundbar, Google and Alexa can serve this pretty well.

I agree that for most small homes or condos etc that Crestron or Control4 isn't necessary...Assuming every user is tech savvy and okay with updating logging into multiple IOT device apps. With Crestron you can use your system for 15 years and never have to update an app or login unless you use an iPad. I cant even imaging dealing with a dozen apps and logins every other week when an update gets pushed.

Playing devils advocate how many of those small homes and condos need a nest thermostat? Or Sonos?

On November 26, 2018 at 09:18, 1234tech said...
Agreed, but devil's advocate how many 20k homes are there?

How many "small condos" need lighting control?

In my experience fewer homes even need an AVR - and even fewer have/know what Atmos is or are willing to pay for it.

Any home that "needs" current surround sound offerings needs at least an AVR. Any home that wants to hide surround speakers in-wall or in-ceiling needs an AVR.

Obviously if your client doesn't care about atmos and is fine with seeing sonos speakers hanging on the wall or sitting on tables and a big sound bar under the TV then they dont need an AVR.

It is the AVR and video distribution systems that complicates the job. As an audiophile and surround sound fan I get it. But more and more users are OK w/o surround sound and don't need a video distribution system.

I guess i dont see how an AVR complicated the job. If anything it helps avoid the need for video distribution because you have your sources local.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse