The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday November 24, 2018 at 16:55
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Here’s the scenario: we want to use an occupancy sensor switch to turn the lights on in the mud room. The thing is, we want to turn them on from two different places. It’s already got 3-way switches for doing this manually. I can imagine how to change this to occupancy sensing switches but I don’t know if it will blow out the switches.

A 3-way switch setup would have power in one box, the load in the other box, and two “travelers” between the two boxes. I won’t go into how to wire this for what’s called three-way operation.

I envision renaming one traveler as “power,” the other as “switched leg.” Then, in each box, I wire up an occupancy sensing switch. Both have power from the power wire. The different part is what to do with the switch outputs.

Each occupancy sensor’s switched output goes to the switched leg and to the load. The lights go on no matter which door you come into.

This setup connects the outputs of the two switches together. The question is this: will 120 volts out of one switch damage the output circuitry of the other switch when its output is at zero? If not, then walking in either door turns on all the lights and this does what we need.

Yes, both switches have the same hot from the same phase and breaker. I can’t think of any details to make this more clear.

Thanks for any input you may have on this. Experience is preferred to wild-ass conjecture.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse