The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Friday November 2, 2018 at 16:41
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 2, 2018 at 09:32, 3PedalMINI said...
GFI

God, I don’t know why this drives me up a wall so much. It shouldn’t, but it does. I so badly want to scream ITS GFCI

Yeah, well, that ship has sailed even worse than the bay-lun ship.

I first heard it called a GFI, maybe around 1980. GFCI came later. And these were required by code starting in 1971! They are also called ALCIs. All these things are RCDs (or RCCDs), and a combo unit is an RCBO.

The CPSC Fact Sheet from September 2010 starts out
A ground fault circuit interrupter, called a GFCI or GFI,....

And are you ready for this from Wikipedia?
In the United States and Canada, the device is called a ground fault circuit interrupter(GFCI), ground fault interrupter (GFI) or an appliance leakage current interrupter (ALCI). In the United Kingdom, these devices are known by their initials RCD, and a combined RCD+MCB (miniature circuit breaker) is known as a RCBO (residual-current circuit breaker with overcurrent protection). In Australia a protection device with this function is called a Safety Switch or RCD.

They are all RCDs. Try calling it that!
residual-current device (RCD), or residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB), is a device that instantly breaks an electric circuit to prevent serious harm from an ongoing electric shock. Injury may still occur in some cases, for example if a human falls after receiving a shock.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse