The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Thursday November 1, 2018 at 11:37
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On October 31, 2018 at 13:47, Ernie Gilman said...
There was nothing at all about whether the outlet on the left was hot when the right was not.

This doesn't quite make sense. If only the first outlet was installed during construction, a single gang plate would handle the GFI. Adding a second outlet later would have meant drywall work... if there even was a four inch box behind the plate.

My guess is that this has a four inch box behind it with a two gang box cover, so it was originally set up for two devices, and that whoever wired it didn't connect the standard outlet downstream from the GFI as they should have.

Apparently, you can see through plastic on a web linked photo. It's possible that they replaced the j-box after the initial construction. The colors don't match, nor are they the same type of device.

While we're at it, which is "the first outlet"? How could we know, other than by assuming the GFCI was installed to meet code?

How often have you seen a 4" box with a single gang cover in a hotel/motel? Why would they spend the extra money for a larger box?
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse