The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Wednesday October 31, 2018 at 13:47
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Mac, you weren't any kind of clear in the first post. You asked "is this legal?"
I thought, why, there's no reason you can't have a standard outlet and a Decora outlet behind the same plate.
I thought, well, it's a HORRIBLE color, but it's not so bad as to be illegal. I think we used to call that Smoker's White.
I thought, that's pretty silly. Obviously the mom and pop hardware store where they bought the parts had somehow picked up a couple of plates that were half Decora and half standard outlet... maybe they got a nickel off for buying that oddball thing.

There was nothing at all about whether the outlet on the left was hot when the right was not.

On October 31, 2018 at 11:03, highfigh said...
I suspect the second outlet was installed after the place was open and they had "their guy" do the work. If they had been installed during construction, they might have used Decora for both.

This doesn't quite make sense. If only the first outlet was installed during construction, a single gang plate would handle the GFI. Adding a second outlet later would have meant drywall work... if there even was a four inch box behind the plate.

My guess is that this has a four inch box behind it with a two gang box cover, so it was originally set up for two devices, and that whoever wired it didn't connect the standard outlet downstream from the GFI as they should have.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse