The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Thursday September 27, 2018 at 08:38
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 27, 2018 at 02:25, Ernie Gilman said...

It sure is! it's an integral part of the power supply, a low-pass filter intended to pass the low low frequency called DC.

BUT since AC from the power supply is introduced into this coil, the magnetic field varied at the rate of 60 Hz (ok, ok, 25 to 60 cps) in it, which resulted in hum in the speaker. To counter that, a separate small coil was added to the speaker magnet assembly, and that was fed filament voltage that could be adjusted in the better amps.

So... we need a magnet; power supplies can use coils; the coil is a magnet but it has some hum; so some adjustable hum is introduced to counter that... and we wonder why it took so long to get high fidelity sound?

THAT explains its robustness, even its large surface area, which helps it be cooler than it might be!

The field coil is after the rectifier in the power supply, used to drop the voltage as well as filter, but in those days, large value high voltage caps for filtering were difficult to make in a small package but it was really there to remove the ripple.

The additional coil, wired in reverse polarity, is the basis for humbucking instrument pickups and they only came into being in the early 1950s.

WRT filament voltage- the reason those hummed is because that was AC and one or more tubes (or half of a tube) may have been on opposite poles- the hum goes away when they started using DC for this. One of my guitar amps is the same model as the one used when Marshall built his first guitar amp, which is almost a carbon copy but with some components that needed to be changed because the original parts weren't available in Europe- lots of analysis has been done and one site goes into each section, explaining why it does what it does and that particular model of Fender amp can have a very low noise level. It's interesting to read comments from people outside of electronics- they have the opinion that these were designed from the ground up by people who were absolutely brilliant when in reality, most looked in a circuit book to find something for each section that would work for the application. Take a bit of this power supply, use this filter, add this input section, a pinch of tone stack, grab a phase inverter and choose an output section before deciding if they wanted it to be squeaky clean or a bit dirty. Clean (ultralinear) came later, but people are out there, coming up with their own designs all the time.

The designer of the 5F6a Fender Bassman, which is the amp that Marshall copied, was a session musician and if you watched Warner Bros cartoons, you have heard one of the recordings he played on many times- he played steel guitar and the first sound on their theme is the slide 'sweep' that starts low and goes up in pitch.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse