The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Thursday September 27, 2018 at 02:25
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 23, 2018 at 05:22, highfigh said...
According to this link, the 37 was introduced in 1936-
[Link: r-type.org]

Speaking of which, none of the tubes in that set had octal plugs and sockets. This seems to me a bit late to introduce a tube that wasn't octal, so obviously I don't know when octals were introduced!

The guitar amp I referred to, which was made to be used for lap steel guitar, has an 80 rectifier...The 80, 6C8G and 6L6G came out in 1936, the 6Q7G came out in 1937.

I was skeptical, so I looked. According to the site you sent me to above, the 80 was introduced in the late twenties. Obviously this site has some lore as well as some facts. (EDIT: Later in the same description it indeed says it was introduced in 1936. The site names two dates of introduction.)

...allows removal of the chassis without the speaker- my speaker is hard-wired. I think the use of the field coil in the speaker as the power supply filter's choke is brilliant.

It sure is! it's an integral part of the power supply, a low-pass filter intended to pass the low low frequency called DC.

BUT since AC from the power supply is introduced into this coil, the magnetic field varied at the rate of 60 Hz (ok, ok, 25 to 60 cps) in it, which resulted in hum in the speaker. To counter that, a separate small coil was added to the speaker magnet assembly, and that was fed filament voltage that could be adjusted in the better amps.

So... we need a magnet; power supplies can use coils; the coil is a magnet but it has some hum; so some adjustable hum is introduced to counter that... and we wonder why it took so long to get high fidelity sound?

6L6 was developed as an audio output tube and as a modulator for small AM transmitters. One cross-reference is KT-66

THAT explains its robustness, even its large surface area, which helps it be cooler than it might be!

I don't have the room for all those amps. My stuff for installation is almost overwhelming as it is. If I had the room, I'd have two cutting lathes, anyway....

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on September 27, 2018 02:52.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse