The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Sunday September 16, 2018 at 21:48
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 16, 2018 at 18:44, Brad Humphrey said...
I think he already has them all but even if he did, 2-wire smokes do not cost that much. So he could replace them all without breaking the bank.
Your idea would work but they are not technically in series.

?

They are still wired parallel but in a daisy chain fashion.

I have to interrupt to verify something here. What's meant by the red/black wire? Is that two wires that are twisted together, so that in effect there's only two conductors, a red/black one and a green/white one, going to each detector? I don't see any detector model numbers and I can't believe anyone would call the following the description of parallel wiring... unless something not described is going on with four wires instead of what looks like two wires.

As an example, it would start with using the white/green to the detector, then the red/black from there back to the panel, which would tie directly to the white/green of the next detector, then red/black back again from there to the next again. Until we reach the final detector where the EOL is wired (or at the panel on the red/black back from the last one). Only the 1st white/green is connected to the alarm panel.

Now, if red/black is one conductor and green/white is another conductor, that's a classic definition of series wiring.

If ALL of the white/green wires went to one terminal on the alarm, and all the red/black wires went to another terminal on the alarm, and the EOL resistor went from white/green to red/black, that would be parallel wiring.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse