Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 94 made on Wednesday August 13, 2008 at 23:54
The_Target
Lurking Member
August 2008
Hello All.

I've been doing CI work for nearly 5 years. I'll admit that getting into the business wasn't a grand life scheme, it was more happenstance. I put a HTIB (poor college student) in my apartment right after I got married, and realized that DVD was cool, and that surround sound was really cool (neighbors didn't share that opinion :D). After being laid off from a photo lab, my wife sent in my resume to a small AV company on a whim. Having some lighting and FOH sound experience came in handy for once and they hired me to pull wire. Apparently hard work and attention to detail occasionally pays off, because they started having me do some basic equipment as a junior tech. The equipment stuff came very easily to me, and I progressed very quickly to small project management on prewire and trim, as well as installing basic systems in medium sized homes. I then started programming Marantz/Pronto remotes for the company, and got to wire a few racks (one of my favorite aspects of the job)and broadened the equipment/skillset in my arsenal. Unfortunately that company went under to to tremendously poor ownership/financial oversight. Luckily I had two VERY good lead techs that taught me some extremely important aspects to being successful.

I live in Salt Lake City, and do most of my work in Park City (pulling wire in -15 degree temps is futile, I promise). I work for a small AV company that has secured some very big jobs that has allowed me tremendous opportunity to learn and expand my skills, not to mention challenge me on a near daily basis to make the customer happy, meet the deadlines, and do it under budget. I do every aspect of install (prewire, trim, equipment install), as well as security, CCTV, Theater, audio video distribution, automation (Control 4, but soon AMX) and programming (RTI, C4, Universal, Pronto, Marantz, Harmony, Speakercraft, Nuvo, and some others I'm forgetting).

There's days that I wonder why I do what I do, but there's far more days that are extremely rewarding. The thrill on a customers face when you fire up a Blu-Ray on a 133" screen with the room rocking and shaking is rewarding. Even more rewarding is having customers DEMAND that I'm the only tech allowed to work on their system, and they ask ME what my opinion is on future upgrades, or current concerns.

Hosting Services by ipHouse