The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 79 made on Thursday July 24, 2008 at 02:35
HDTVJunkie
Long Time Member
March 2004
My real name is Dan. Not Daniel, just Dan. Nothing in the world wrong with the name "Daniel" actually. (sucking up a bit to Mr. Tonks here...) I'm a victum of circumstance. My parents didn't see the value in adding the "iel" to my name. Imagine the difficulties associated with having a nickname for a name. Bob, not Robert. Rick, not Richard... When I get pulled over, the cops never believe me!

Started out with all this fun stuff while in High School (early '70s) with a book called "Sound System Engineering" which was nothing more than a "for dummies" book in it's day. My buds and I had a horrible sounding rock band and they thought with my affinity for this techy stuff, I could make us sound better. I did get the diagnosis right--defective musicians. The band broke up, thankfully.

Steeley Dan's Reelin' in the Years was all the rage that summer. I had the record, a Vox Beatle amp and a turntable. Turns out, that was enough to rock my parents out of their own house. Years later, I had a 6' Advent projector (around 1979) and KMET used to similcast stereo concerts along with one of the local TV stations from time to time. I've been hooked since then.

I wasn't early into our business per se. Never put Craig car speakers in walls for example... My education is in electronics. Worked in manufacturing for a while at Bell Industries. The Voyager and Voyager II both have things on them that I made. Afterwards, I moved into consumer electronics. Sorry, don't even remember why. Opened my business on April Fools Day, 1979, so I've been gainfully unemployed since then. Retail consumer electronics sales. Watched big local hitters like "Fred Rated" give way to Circuit City, Silo and Best Buy while I/we migrated to a service and repair organization. Taught video theory at the local community college part time those days.

Hosting Services by ipHouse