The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Saturday September 1, 2018 at 18:16
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On September 1, 2018 at 15:51, Ernie Gilman said...
You asked a question so simple that there was no simple answer, unless you would accept "Yes and no" or "Depends" as an answer. I thought those answers wouldn't help. My answer didn't leave it at one or two words but instead described the conditions under which "Yes" and "No" would be accurate answers.

No. This completely avoids problem ground loops through the power cord and chassis. Note carefully that I said PROBLEM ground loops.

I should probably stop writing here since I don't know of a system with a receiver (which has a preamp in it, that is to say, source selection, volume, etc) WITH a preamp (unless you mean to say that the receiver has a preamp, which they all do)... so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

This probably has to do with how the ground was handled in the balanced wiring. It's definitely not true that an unbalanced connection, which gave you success here, is a better way to connect than balanced. As you say, there's no single method that works best in all situations. That's because each situation has certain things built into it that can make a good connection system have a problem.

Why did I use the word PROBLEM up above? The average system has many ground loops. The easiest to visualize is the analog audio connection of a player to a receiver or preamp or processor. There are two channels, and the ground of each channel of the player is connected to the ground of each channel of a preamp input. That's a ground loop.

We don't care about and don't even perceive ground loops until they cause a problem.
I know thjs is now a long discussion. Still, I bet you would not have wanted me to answer "Yes and no" to your original question!

My question could have been answered with "No, I mean the devices that are the source of the signal", but you had to go all War And Peace on me.

Your comments about the receiver are very odd. I guess we need to be more explicit- I meant 'a receiver with preamp output jacks'.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse