The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Saturday September 1, 2018 at 07:13
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On September 1, 2018 at 05:40, InVision Systems said...
Ultimately, I'm interested in exactly how the cable is grounded at termination.

"Termination" means different things to different people. To some it means putting a connector on. To some it means being sure that the proper connections are made to the proper load (of the following stage). What exactly do you mean by it?

If I'm grounding at the patch panel,

...which means what? The patch panels I've seen have multiple connectors, none of which share a ground. Each connector (RJ45 jack) has its own ground that runs through the connector but doesn't connect tony ground on the panel. Are there panels where all the connector grounds are connected together?

should you also utilize the ground in the RJ45 connector or keystone? I don't quite understand how that would also be considered "grounding" unless the device plugged in utilizes a shielded port and is grounded.

If you have a shielded cable, that gives you the option of grounding the shield. But you don't have "grounding" unless you are connected to a ground somewhere.

I'd say that, since Brent McCall has pointed out that shielded CAT cable has problems that UTP doesn't have you should always use the shield on every cable that has a shield. By "use the shield" I mean make the shielding connection an integral part of the connection scheme... which includes any and all manners of grounding you use.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse