The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Wednesday August 8, 2018 at 13:22
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 8, 2018 at 09:10, vwpower44 said...
I have a client with a 27,000 square foot ranch...i know big for a ranch.

Not really. A friend of mine has a ranch that's at least twenty acres. It all depends on how big the actual house is.

Now let's get serious.

Is there a system or way that I can put in 6 chimes on 1 transformer with 2 buttons?

We need to clarify the requirement. You need 6 chimes to ring. There will be two buttons to make them ring. Do you somehow also require that only one transformer powers this whole thing? I doubt it.

I've just spent twenty minutes looking into this and the number of choices make this too much just for a post, even for an Ernie post.

Here are the deals:
Doorbells are Class 2 devices. That means the power supply can be shorted out anywhere in the house and there will be no fire. This limits the amount of current you can use as well as the type of transformer you can use.

There will be voltage drop on the wire. The length of the wire is more important than the area of the house (and whether you daisy-chain them -- avoid that), though voltage drop on 14 gauge will probably take care of that issue.

I'd put in up to six separate doorbell supplies (depends on layout and how many doorbells you can ring with one supply) with a relay near each one. All the relays are switched at the same time by the doorbell button. This wiring also must survive a dead short without a fire. Preferably it must survive a dead short without the power source dying, too, so you'd never have to replace that.

You have to choose between AC relays and DC relays. DC relays can/may draw less current, but require power supplies, diodes across the relays, and wiring polarity must be maintained, which is not needed with AC power. AC is simpler but has its own drawbacks.

And presumably this is actually two systems, one for the front door sound, usually ding dong, and one for the back door sound usually ding.

As a design note, you can turn a stiff high amperage DC power supply, the one used for the relays here, into a "Class 2-ish" supply with one resistor. You take the output of the power supply and put it through a resistor of a value that drops its output to a couple of volts with the load you have. The resistor's wattage and mounting situation must be chosen so it stays medium cool, for instance a 20 watt resistor that's dissipating 2 watts. This means math for each supply like this.

The output of that resistor goes to a capacitor, say 47,000 mfd, maybe as much as ten times that. You have to experiment. That cap stores enough energy for one or two good button pushes, but if the current is drawn too long (long button push or shorted wires). the output drops to a couple of volts. Because of the wattage of the resistor and the way you've mounted it, there's no fire.

Anything more than this takes too much time for a post. But this is completely doable.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse