Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday August 5, 2018 at 19:49
simoneales
Select Member
May 2005
Hi All,

As some of will know, i dropped out of the CI game in 2012 and took up a position with a new tubular motor company in Australia as it was being launched. Since then we have turned our brand into the best selling external motor in the country, and second highest overall, behind Somfy.
Earlier in the year we launched our brand in the US, based in San Bernadino CA.
We are a full service motor supplier with products for most applications. We have a good app for control that also works with Amazon Alexa, Google home and control 4.

At this point sales are moderate as you would expect after a short period of time, and we are looking at lot's of different avenues for expansion and getting some volume sales. We have been in contact with a guy who seems to have an inside track to some high volume customers, and by the way he is talking he seems to be implying that he would be a good chance to get them on board. This guy currently runs his own business manufacturing roller blinds, so has an existing income from that and obviously significant time commitments relating to that. Our impression of him is that he does have good knowledge of the industry and does seem to know the right people.
Firstly let me point out that if he can deliver the customers he is implying, the commission structure being suggested to him would reap him 200k-300k + a year for very little effort. However he is asking for both a higher percentage and also wants a Salary/retainer. The impression he has left us with is that he would probably pursue some of the bigger companies in his spare time and probably not spend time finding and approaching other smaller companies. We are suspicious of his ability to deliver on what he says and feel like he's got an existing income so is going high with nothing to lose, but we don't want to end up paying this guy ongoing money (apart from a commission for business generated). If he wants a retainer then his commission would be much less but as i said, we don't believe he would work for the retainer.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Also,
In Australia there are many commission only freelance reps that represent several companies within the same industry but that do not conflict with each other. Are there similar reps in the States and how do you find them?
I guarantee I'll tell you the truth and I guarantee I'll tell you what you need to know but I can't guarantee that I'll be telling you anything you want to hear.

Hosting Services by ipHouse