Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Monday July 30, 2018 at 20:18
King of typos
Loyal Member
June 2002
Ok, let me explain.

When I moved in. She had an ISP provided WiFi router, which was connected to DSL. And located on the south outside wall, second level

She provided me with the password on my phone and it promptly connected while I was outside.

As soon as I went to my apartment, which is located on the first level on the north side of the house. I lost connection.

Soooo. I was able to connect my computer, which happens to be a Mac. And I already had an AirPort Extreme 5th gen. So I forward the internet connections from the Mac’s WiFi to the Ethernet. Connected my 5th gen AirPort Extreme to the Mac’s Ethernet. Created my own WiFi for my apartment for my wireless devices.

Now after I received two 6th gen AirPort Extremes. I connected one of them to the ISP provided router, put the AirPort in bridge mode. Then used the second to extend the WiFi network as well as my 5th gen AirPort.

So this house went from a signal WiFi AP on the south wall on level 2. To three WiFi APs. One at the original south wall 2nd level, the main. One on north side, about 15’ from the north outside wall and centered from east and west on the 3rd level. And the third on the 1st level centered between the east and west and 15’ from the north wall... basically a straight shot down from the 3rd level’s AP.

And since I have access to the connected devices. I am seeing on average of 15 to 20 devices connected overall of the 3 AirPort Extremes.

So my original question was to leave the AirPort Extremes in the current bridge mode. Or change the ISP provided modem/router into bridge mode and default the AirPorts into giving IP addresses.

Currently, the set up works great. No one has complained about dropped connections and such. However, the ISP provided AP is from Frontier and it’s DSL. She is really wanting to get cable internet. Thus a change of providers and a change of modem/router. Hopefully the new ISP provided modem/router will allow a plug and play of the AirPort Extreme, which is in bridge mode.

Basically I want to provide my landlady with a simple system for when I leave. I don’t want her to call the cable provider to have them put their modem/router back into bridge mode after a firmware update, if one ever happens.

KOT

Hosting Services by ipHouse