Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Sunday July 29, 2018 at 13:34
fcwilt
September 2003
On July 29, 2018 at 09:02, buzz said...
KOT,

One follows the modem with a "router". The router can split that single connection and support multiple devices on the local network. Inside the router is a "DHCP" function that manages this splitting process.

I applaud you for taking the time to make the lengthy post.

However it is not accurate.

The DHCP server does not perform the routing function - that's the job of a router.

Granted these multi-function boxes often contain a modem, a router, a DHCP server, a firewall, a wireless AP, a small Ethernet switch and perhaps more.

But it need not be that way - they could all be separate devices or any mix in between.

The only part needed for connecting multiple computers to the modem is a router.

The DHCP server CAN hand out unique IP addresses to each computer but that is not a necessity.

Each computer could have a unique static IP address and it would work just fine.

It's also quite possible to have the DHCP server in another physical device, not the "all in one".

When NAT is mentioned that has to do with the router function.

If you have one router feeding another you have a "double NAT" situation which you have likely heard of.

Heck you could have a "triple NAT" setup, not that it would be a good idea.

The "bridge" mode you hear about usually has to do with turning off the router function in one device so you avoid the double NAT situation.

There is more I could write about but it's time for lunch and I'm hungry.

Frederick

Last edited by fcwilt on July 29, 2018 22:35.
Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

Hosting Services by ipHouse