The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Sunday July 29, 2018 at 09:56
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 29, 2018 at 00:06, Ernie Gilman said...
a couple of changes for clarity....
wait wait wait wait wait wait...
What voltage test light? 12 volts for car use? Neon? Plain old 120V light bulb in a socket? It's possible to have current flowing through a ground and creating hum, but with too little current to light any actual bulb. More details are needed to this right.

Really? A neon test light? Are we dealing with such high voltage on cable feeds?

I'm not the first to recommend using a test light for this and it has been discussed before.

I measured 15V on the cable coming to my cable box after reaching in with one hand to break the connection while my arm was laying on the cover. Nice tingle, but at least it wasn't passing through me. I had been seeing noise bars, so I disconnected it to verify my thinking- it did. I didn't bother with a test light at the time because I had already found that voltage was present but one made for 12V will work because it will be dim with low voltage and that's enough to cause a problem.

If it hums, it will light a bulb that's used for low voltage.

Some LEDs can be used for this, but I haven't checked the voltage when my capacitor discharger fades out.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse