The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Sunday July 29, 2018 at 09:35
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 29, 2018 at 06:08, King of typos said...
I am a bit confused when it comes to networking. So here is my issue.

My landlady has 3 Airport Extremes. Two of the latest and one of the previous generation. Current one, latest, is plugged into a Frontier provided DSL router. The Airport is in bridge mode and everything is working fine, from what I understand.

When we get cable internet, Atlantic Broadband. I can not use my personal cable modem. Which will effectively not have to me put the Airport in bridge mode. As it’s just a modem.

That much I know. What confuses me is some people say I can put the Airports in bridge mode, as they are now, even with the cable modem/router from AB. But others are saying that AB needs to put their modem/router in bridge mode.

What is the difference between the modem/router or the Airports in bridge mode? What are the benifits of either set up?

Also I want to make it easy for my landlady for when I leave. And AB sends a firmware update and basically wiped the modem/router’s settings. Therefore putting it back to normal mode and ruining the set up.

She is looking into getting telephone on with the cable internet. And the fact AB states that their modem/router is Moca enabled for the new TiVo stb. Which is probably why my personal cable modem wouldn’t work.

KOT

As I have posted several times since I found out, from AppleCare themselves, "Apple neither recommends nor supports more than two Apple network devices in the same network". It took more than ten years to tell me this, but......

If you're using the Airport Extremes as access points, set it to Create A Network and disable NAT/DHCP. If you're using one as the router, give up and use something else. It's such a PITA to try to limp along with these that it's not worth doing and I'd like to know- why the hell does she have three Extremes? That's a waste of $600 and it still sucks.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse