The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Saturday July 14, 2018 at 11:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 14, 2018 at 01:22, Neurorad said...
I googled and found this doc

[Link: kathyicingonthecake.com]

Looks like the clients use a different ID method than IP address.

I've had the feeling for a couple of years that DirecTV really doesn't want to clearly and obviously publish all the information for deeply understanding how their stuff works. The fact that this information is clearer on a site called "Kathy icing on the cake" than in the official DirecTV pfds lends some credence to that thought!

Dig this: we wonder why it takes so long for client commands to take effect? Look at the next paragraph!

The bottom line is that an IR or RF signal sent from the C51's remote control is sent by the C51 to the HR54 which then returns the required action. This HTML command thing is thus sent to the HR54 which in turn sends the action to the client - get that?

I get that. To change A, we send a command to A, which relays it to B, which does some things and then sends results to A. No wonder it's not instantaneous. Going on:
Let's assume the DVR's command line for fast forward shown above is for the Geni (HR54). Here is the html command for the Geni Client C51.

(Note: I had to "break" the command to make it appear in Remote Central's text window. In front of the first character, the a, the actual command has a "capital comma." After the last a there's a "capital period.")
(In the following, the 10.0.0.5 is the LAN IP address for the Genie in this particular setup. It's not a generic address, so would vary from system to system.)
a href="http://10.0.0.5:8080/remote/processKey?key=ffwd&hold=keyPress&clientAddr=CC4EECD75636">FAST FORWARD
&clientAddr=CC4EECD75636 is simply added to the HR54's command line where the MAC address CC:4E:EC:D7:56:36 of the C51. It is listed in the html without the colons that separate the characters. The C51 is essentially an extension of the Geni.

Two things here: a)when a description says "simply," get ready for something crucial to be left out. b)here's a MAC address written without the colons. Sure. Why not.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on July 14, 2018 11:41.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse