Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 38 made on Tuesday July 10, 2018 at 19:01
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 10, 2018 at 15:22, buzz said...
Engineers are not always held in very high esteem. I was at a recent rep firm show-n-tell and overheard a group of installers excoriating engineers as a class of human (along with interior decorators and architects) for being know-it-all, arrogant, impractical, having no sense of reality, and generally impeding the installation. I kept my distance, but I was thinking about throwing a log or two on the interior decorator and architect fires.

They don't like being called 'decorators'- they prefer 'desicrator' or 'detonator'. Go ahead and use that on your next project- I'm sure you'll all get along beautifully.

I did a house that was getting ceiling speakers in the master bath and when I arrived to discuss it with the homeowner, her detonator was there. Her old boss had died in a plane crash, so she went out on her own, but her opinion of her talents was very over-blown. Apparently, she was under the impression that the former company's success was due to her design acumen, so she would make recommendations for materials and objects/fixtures that were absurdly expensive,

I had known her old boss and figured that she wouldn't want to see the speakers, so as soon as they were mentioned, I pre-emptively said that I could use the Klipsch light bulb speakers. To me, it was a bit of a joke but she reacted like I had read her mind. When she asked how I knew she didn't want to see them, I said "I know where you used to work".
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse