The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday July 2, 2018 at 16:56
dunnersfella
Long Time Member
October 2016
To be fair, the Beam only has Alexa thus far...
They are saying it will get Airplay 2, they are saying it will get Amazon integration and they are saying it will get Siri.

I believe everyone will get Amazon soon, there's no hardware involved, it's software only (like Alexa).
Siri integration requires a chipset, so that will be limited to the likes of Sonos or those who are willing to work with Apple.
Airplay 2, I believe many, many companies will be getting this at some point in 2018, again it's hardware dependent but many companies will have planned for it and will be integrating it. However, considering the delay in Apple launching Airplay 2 within their own range I'm not holding my breath.

Getting Airplay 2 to work successfully shouldn't be tricky, but designing a great Alexa or Amazon skill is another thing. Normally Sonos gets 4.5/5 star reviews, but like a lot of other 3rd parties, their Alexa integration get 2 star averages on the Alexa site. It WILL improve with time... but I feel as if consumers become the beta testers with this sort of tech. I'd be waiting a few more years before deploying it, even as a 3rd tier control method.
This industry is not getting cheaper and cheaper, we're simply convincing ourselves that we have to push the cheapest option to customers.
#makesonosgreatagain

Hosting Services by ipHouse