The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday June 29, 2018 at 08:53
Kizul
Lurking Member
June 2018

I just needed a simple 2-in/1-out S-Video switcher. So I did what I normally do: I looked on ebaY.

That was probably a mistake, but I did find this beauty, and for a fantastic price: an Audioplex Luma VR-1!
[Link: cgi.ebay.com]

Here's a flyer I found for it (and the Luma VRS-1) by crawling Audioplex's now-defunct website:
[Link: web.archive.org]

My Luma VR-1 arrived yesterday, and while it works (…more or less…), I can't get it to switch between the A and B inputs, because when I bought it I didn't realize that it apparently needs either A.) an external IR receiver or emitter or something; or B.) an RS232 cable so that I can give it commands from my PC.

I found the manuals for the Luma VRS-1 and Luma VR-1, respectively, contained together in a PDF, and I uploaded it here:
[Link: procyon.com]

I'm frustrated, however, because I'm used to whatever remote-controlled device I buy just… having an IR port built into it — but this one apparently doesn't. Having to get an external IR thing to plug into a remote-controlled device is entirely new territory for me.

I don't know what sort of thing I need in order to get the Luma to accept commands from an IR remote. The manual says that the 3.5 mm mono audio cable it comes with is for plugging in an IR emitter, but how does having an emitter help it receive IR signals? Also, the only IR receivers I can find that use a 3.5 mm cable use a stereo cable — which I'm not sure would work on this device (due to the aforementioned cable type).

Additionally, according to both the manual AND the flyer I found, the Luma VR-1 (which does S-Video) doesn't have an RS232 port, but the Luma VRS-1 (which does Component video instead), does have an RS232 port.

However, the Luma VR-1 device that I purchased does have an RS232 port — and you can also see in the ebaY listing's photos that it has one — but the only manual that has RS232 commands is the manual for the Luma VRS-1, and I don't know if those commands would work with the Luma VR-1.

I'm a complete newbie to all of this, and I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. Ordinarily, I'd just contact the company that made the device… but Audioplex filed for bankruptcy four years ago, so I can't get tech support from 'em. :(

Would any of you happen to have experience using Audioplex's Luma devices? Alternatively, would any of you have any suggestions on what I should do to get it to receive IR remote signals?

This situation has me stressed out and very frustrated; ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse