Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 44 made on Sunday June 10, 2018 at 19:17
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On 1528563169, Ernie Gilman said..|
I've seen the most amazing attitude among church people. I was warned before I ever proposed any work for a church that it was a good way to not get paid, but the lack of understanding the basics of business among some church people is absolutely stunning. They want to see the invoice for an amp I bought. I asked if anybody they buy from, be it retail store or restaurant, EVER shows them the invoices for the things they sell. Duh, it hadn't occurred to them. They think Staples is some giant thingie that has stuff for sale, but I'm a person who's trying to rip them off. There's very little attempt to understand. And these are very nice people I've known for several years!

Church people know damn well how money works- if they didn't, their parish would be in debt and everyone there would be driving luxury cars an wearing expensive clothes. They're trying to get you to reduce the price or donate, out of some assumed reverence to the church, BECAUSE it's a church. If I had a dollar for every time someone asked for a discount saying "It's for the church, you understand", I would have retired already. The people who are on the committee for a system upgrade I'm looking into have said "...and the church doesn't have any money" several times, but being a Catholic church, that's a load- they're the single wealthiest organization on the planet.

Dickering is as old as mankind and in some cultures, the people are offended if a buyer doesn't ask for a better price.

I did some AV work for a bar- if you want to get stiffed, do more of that. I went to the bar where the former bar owner was working to collect some money (he lost the location because the owner sold the building- I'll call him 'FBO'). When I walked in, a liquor rep (Dave) was there with some other people he and the FBO know. I have known the rep for over 45 years and the FBO for over 35 years; as we all talked, the topic of the FBO's bill to the rep came up and as usual, FBO didn't have the money, but said he could pay a few bucks of the bill (the total was something like $145.48). He told the rep he could have it the next day- Dave said it was no problem and left it at that. One of their mutual friends then said "If you're not going to at least take the 48 cents, I won't be able to believe you're actually Jewish". I don't think I have seen Dave laugh so hard in the whole time we have known each other.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse