The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday June 7, 2018 at 09:36
benjh1028
Long Time Member
May 2005
On June 6, 2018 at 22:08, Hasbeen said...
You know you're an engineer or a UofM grad when you tell everyone within earshot in the first 5 minutes of every conversation.

My son is going to UofM for you guessed it...... engineering.... It makes me sad on many different levels.

Okay I'll bite. Guess I should don a flame suit as I'll admit I'm an engineer by degree.

What I want to add is the bs about STEM shortage, and forcing every kid into engineering. There is no engineering shortage in this country (plenty of studies support this), but there is a shortage of CHEAP engineers in this country. This STEM movement is ridiculous, and was created by industry to push down the cost of engineers through either market saturation or importing (or outsourcing) foreign talent. As much as I dislike some of the "professional" organizations, the ABA for lawyers and AMA for doctors have done a respectable job keeping these jobs at pay levels they should be at. Engineers, not so much.

My son is taking off to college in a few months. Originally he planned on going into engineering, but after talking with him it was apparent he was only doing this because both his parents are engineers (only she practices it though), and the school system and society says it's what he should be doing. We discussed other options, and found he had much more interest in a different program - still math based - and he will be employable with the degree (his mother is not happy with me).

I'm just fed up with hearing about engineering shortages and the push for all kids towards the non-well defined "STEM" programs.

Hosting Services by ipHouse