The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Saturday May 19, 2018 at 17:43
SEMIJim
Long Time Member
June 2006
I'm just evaluating a MiBox. One of the requirements was ability to use our MX-500 remotes. The GE UltraPro Universal Remote - 4 Device is made by Jasco, and costs less than $10 at Walmart and elsewhere. Jasco's site said it supported Xiaomi streaming devices. So I bought one, along with the MiBox. Programmed-in the necessary code, "1654", and...

nothing :(

Then I thought to try it again--thinking maybe I'd fumble-fingered something. Went through the programming process again, got ready to try it, stopped, gazed at the remote for a moment, then thought "Hmmm... I never selected the device, after programming, the first time." Hit the "aux" device select, then the power button, and...

Voilą! It worked! :)

So far all I've tested is power on/off, the five "joystick" buttons, "back" and "menu/home" (they do the same thing, looks like).

(I have not seen this solution reported anywhere else, and, believe me: I looked.)

Hmmm... This remote has a "*" button.  I wonder if it'll give me "*" on the Roku box?

Here's a link to the product on Walmart's site: [Link: walmart.com]

ETA...

Hmmm... Problem. Neither of my MX-500s will learn any of the MiBox' IR commands other than "power."  The MX-500s display the "ready" and "good" status', as they should, but what they send doesn't have any effect on the MiBox. Tried varying the distance between the remotes. Tried long and short presses. Tried different buttons on the MX-500. No go.

This is a first, for me.  Never had my MX-500 fail to learn.

So it's looking like the MiBox may be a non-starter for my use.  Too bad.  It was looking so promising there for a bit :(

ETA2...

Apparently this is not a new problem with MX-500s and newer hardware. There's a variety of reasons for it, but it boils-down to some newer devices using IR protocols the MX-500 knows not. Newer URC devices may work.

I've just completed the "what remote to replace MX-500s with" routine and found nothing acceptable. So I'm either going to live with having to have two remotes for wherever I use a MiBox or find a different streaming solution.

Last edited by SEMIJim on May 20, 2018 12:08.

Hosting Services by ipHouse