The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday March 27, 2018 at 15:13
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Does anybody know of a process for placing or moving, and sensible specs for setting up, dropbox files on a drive that is not the main drive of the computer? When I originally set it up on my desktop (240 GB main SSD and two 3 TB HDDs), I was directed to put the files on my main drive.

I've been using it to sync My Documents and other data between my laptop and my Desktop, both of which use Windows 7.

However, I share A LOT of files. I've got 123 GB of files in my dropbox folder.

That means I only have about 16 GB free on the SSD. It's unclear whether I can move the dropbox files to a different drive. Dropbox has provided this as an aid, but it's self-contradictory: [Link: dropbox.com]. Reading it all, you see that one thing it says is that an external drive is one of the better ways to use dropbox, but they won't support that. This is after telling me that it won't work right if the files are not available. Well... what software works right if the files are not available?

What started all this was my trying to move the files to an internal 3TB HDD where I have plenty of room, which would take my available space on the SSD from 16 GB up to almost 140 GB. During that process, I get a message saying "There's already a copy of [file name] here." It doesn't identify "here," and I can only find one copy of that file in the originating files.

After trying seven times to move the files, I asked dropbox about this and they told me to be sure I was following the instructions on the web page I linked to above. That is either confusing, contradictory, or both.

Hence my question. Anyone?

Thanks.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse