The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 27 made on Monday March 26, 2018 at 09:07
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On March 25, 2018 at 11:24, Ernie Gilman said...
You know, when you quote an entire friggin' post that comments on several different things, and then ask a question about one subject without identifying the topic, you don't help at all.

Blah, blah, blah. I did that for you. No gratitude, I tell ya.

I would bore 1" holes in concrete with my masonry bits. I have up to 1 1/4" bits that fit into my Milwaukee Hole Shooter with its 1/2" chuck.

I finally looked it up and found that SDS means Slotted Drive System or Slotted Drive Shaft. I almost think you guys did not know that's what it means, or you would have said that's what it means.

Maybe, we assumed others already knew what SDS is. It's not a new thing.

If you're using bits as large as 1-1/4" in a hole shooter, you're abusing it- it wasn't designed for those and "because they fit" is not the proper reason to use them. Masonry bits are supposed to be used with hammer drills.

It is not necessary to have such a drill to bore 1" holes in concrete, and I've never had to drill larger than 1 1/4" holes. It was MUCH cheaper to buy the bits I needed 12 years ago, which was the last time I had to drill such a hole, than to buy a new drill PLUS new bits.

You have obviously not used an SDS drill, often called a 'rotary hammer'. You can't drill holes with your hole shooter as quickly as with an SDS or hammer drill- it's not possible. The SDS can also use a chisel, a spade and other bits- it's pretty versatile without the need to go all out with the expense of the larger industrial ones. YOU may not need to drill larger than 1", but many others do. If you need to install larger conduit, you would be forced to hire someone else who has core bits. What if you needed to make a large hole in a concrete floor that's not Span Crete or pre-stressed concrete?

"Not necessary"? Bull crap. You're in California- many parts of the country have homes and other buildings that use brick or block for foundation walls- I had to punch a 3" hole in brick last Summer, to get cabling from the AV system in the basement to the Den- that WAS necessary and even with my SDS, it was a PITA. 

An unrelated reason why everybody should own their own tools is other subcontractors who don't own their own tools.

The only time I've lost tools on the job other than by forgetting them on my own, another contractor was on the job and left before I did. They were electricians and they had a kid who did the grunt job of putting the tools away. He went through the site and took all the tools that looked like electricians' tools. This included several of my tools. The kid had no idea whose tools he was picking up, since he didn't own ANY of the tools. I don't think he stole anything -- he was told to pick up tools and he picked up tools.

If each electrician had had his own tools and had been responsible for putting them away, none of my tools would have been taken. It's just not reasonable for me to use a tool and then take it back out to the van, and would not have been reasonable for the electricians to do the same.

That's a good reason to mark your tools clearly, so there's no mistake about who owns them. 

Last edited by highfigh on March 26, 2018 09:29.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse