The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Saturday March 24, 2018 at 12:47
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 24, 2018 at 07:42, thecapnredfish said...
My opinion.
If the employer demands certain types or brands then employer should provide them.

Yes.
I don’t believe someone low on the pole/payscale should pay for tools.

Not exactly. I think someone should provide the most basic tools, say, a Phillips and a Slot Drive screwdriver, a wire cutter and/or stripper, a tape measure, perhaps a drywall saw (depends on the business).

One reason the employee should have these is that things are less likely to get lost or stolen if they BELONG to a person. Ownership is a strong magnet!

Employer should also supply them if vehicles are swapped for specific reasons and tools need to be in it. Maybe all vehicles don’t carry trenching tools, wood working tools or heavy duty power tools.
At the very least the employer should provide all and any tools that only one person needs. Why would two employees need to outfit a truck with an SDS set up, circular saw, generator, Dremel, socket set, wrench set, wire tracing/locator, lighting, extension cords, shop vac. You get the picture.

Employees may prefer certain tools over others, and they have the privilege of buying and carrying their own. I work with a guy whose drill I don't like, so I carry my own.
And he doesn't carry all the tools I carry. He's okay using some of my tools, and he's responsible with them, so that's okay with me.

There are no hard and fast rules here.

What's an SDS Setup? And I haven't required a Dremel in more than twenty years.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse