Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 9 made on Saturday February 10, 2018 at 08:33
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
My wife used to hire for her company. She always said each resume gets about 30 seconds to decide if it's worth reading in its entirety. So lead with what's most pertinent to the job. That would likely be either education or experience.

As far as picture goes I would recommend not. It could help or hinder and she has no way of knowing which. Maybe the company has a mandate to hire visible minorities to match a demographic or something, maybe the person reading the resume is racist POS. The person hiring could be a feminist, or maybe not. You never know but for sure the first impression should be based on skills/education/experience.

Finally, in that example resume the writer says "cutting edge" merchandiser. Buzz words and colourful language, even embellishment, and worse out right lies are common on resumes. When she gets to an interview (phone or in person) she will likely be asked to elaborate on some of this stuff with examples, especially if it's something awesome. Maybe that's what gets her picked from the pile so she best be ready to back each item up with an example that matches the impressiveness of the statement.

For example the "cutting edge merchandising". I would ask what do you do that's so cutting edge? If the person answered, "I rearranged some clearance clothing to be in a more prominent location, improved signage and created un-obstructed sight lines from the store entry, resulting in an increased sales of that clearance product by 20%". I would be impressed. If they said, " I always make sure the hangars on the rack are facing to the right.", I would not be impressed.

It might be worthwhile having her resume prepared by a pro.

Craig
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.

Hosting Services by ipHouse