Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday January 30, 2018 at 10:31
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
On my personal family room system I've had eveything running normally since I installed a Denon AVRx3400h a few months ago.

System ad it is now:

Sony KDL60W630B
Denon AVR-X3400H
PS3
PS4
Apple TV 3
WiiU
Android Box
Pro24r/Prolinkr (no direct IR from the remote, all emitters including TV)

A couple of weeks ago I was experimenting with ARC and running Netflix off the TV. Why? Just because. Figured at some point this crap may work reliably so why not try it out every now and then. Harmless experiment right? Haha. Insert witty life lesson metaphor here.

First some context.

As I set out to begin my adventure the TV asks to do a firmware update. I agree and perform the update. I then change the settings in the AVR and TV to use ARC. No sound. Silly me, it's on a non ARC HDMI input. Change inputs and still no sound. Was using an older HDMI cable that didn't support it. Changed the cable. ARC works. Played for a day and lost interest. But didn't change anything back.

Now for the anomaly.

I notice that when I come down in the mornings sometimes the Tv is still
on. The receiver is off. Usually a game system is left running and the Android is in all the time. It's as off as it normally gets so there's no point in blaming my kid for not turning it off. I do some investigation and learn that when you power up the receiver, it turns the TV on. It also turns the TV on when you power OFF the reciever. Now it's starting to make more sense as my power off macro is TV off, then receiver off and I see that immediately after the macro is complete the TV is powering up again.

No problem. Must be stupid CEC messing things up. Control was off on both the TV and receiver. Only ARC was enabled but we all know that ARC and CEC are some kind of maniacle Saimese twin.

So I turn off ARC and control on both devices. Also HDMI passthrough on the receiver is off (it always was). It's still happening. I remember that I'm still plugged into the ARC input on the TV so I switch it back to a non ARC HDMI input. Still happening. I change back to the old HDMI cable. The whole system is now in the same state it was before I went down the rabbit hole. IT'S STILL HAPPENING!!!

WTH? It's like CEC meets Maximum Overdrive.

I checked and rechecked the CEC/ARC/Bravia Sync settings and everything is off. I also unplugged and plugged back in both the TV and the receiver.

So I decide to move onto try some other devices. What it turns out to be is the Android box. If the Android box is on, and Kodi is opperating, then when I turn the TV off, it immidiatly turns on by it self.

Unplug Android or exit Kodi to main XBMC menu and it works fine. An easy work around is to turn the receiver off first, followed by the TV. Without the receiver on, CEC commands from the Android don't pass through. I did some research and the version of Kodi that I'm running isn't supposed to have CEC control, or at least you can't get into adjust it. I reprogrammed my remote to follow this adjustment and all is well but that didn't actually solve the issue, just worked around it.

Now this leaves me with some questions.

How with the HDMI CEC turned off on both the receiver and the TV, are they still passing commands through/responding to commmads?

What could have changed that made it happen now but not before I tried this out.

The only thing I can think of is that the firmware update I did on the TV has some kind of CEC back door. The reciever firmware is the same.

It seems to me that the problem, while instigated by the Android Box, is also because of the AVR and the TV.

The one common denominator is of course that HDMI is a train wreck but in all seriousness, this is very odd.

Thanks for the interest.

Craig.
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.

Hosting Services by ipHouse