The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Thursday January 25, 2018 at 09:08
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
I still use Denon and have had few problems over the years. Pioneer lost me when they pulled out of TV, home and other divisions and I’m glad I wasn’t using them as my main brand when they pulled the rug out.

WRT Yamaha- they seem to be very reliable, but their specs are a bit optimistic and the tests show them underperforming. Denon met/exceeded spec.

Something else that Denon has now- onboard diagnostics. It's limited, but it helps show why it shut down. I recently replaced an eleven year old Denon AVR, mainly because it only had two HDMI inputs and one output, so I chose the AVRX-4300H because it has six and it also has two 12V triggers, which I need. Well, after it was in the rack for a few months, it suddenly shut off, showing the red flashing LED. It happened once on one day and twice the following day, the last time with no LED illumination at all. I called CI tech support and he told me how to see the status- some codes indicate a power supply issue (could be internal or external) and it can also show thermal or amplifier issues and it shows the number of events, too.

Seems to be caused by me turning on the rear speakers before connecting, then operating the AVR as if everything was normal. I set the rear speakers to OFF and it hasn't repeated.

I didn't originally want to, but I'm using Zone 2 speaker output for the kitchen, which was originally supposed to be powered by its own amplifier and used mainly as its own zone. If it's the only thing playing, I wouldn't have any issues but I really don't want to turn it on and have it screw up anything in the Den, if someone is watching/listening to something else and I'm sharing some components between the Den and the House audio. That would annoy me and I certainly don't want it to annoy the clients. I set Zone 2 volume to Variable and Zone 3 volume to Fixed (feeds a preamp for the whole house audio, which has its own VC). Heos takes over everything when it's turned on, so I need to start that for Zones 2/3 before dong anything in the Den, but so far, it's working very well. All amplifier channels are the same, so it's not 5 good ones and 6 that are crappy, with cheap spring-loaded terminals. Zones 2 and 3 can be Stereo or mono, too.

Hard wired, I think the Firmware update took less than 10 minutes, but I wasn't really watching the clock at the time.

Last edited by highfigh on January 25, 2018 09:31.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse