Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Thursday January 18, 2018 at 12:03
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
I did some work yesterday at a property just adjacent to the evacuation zone (houses on the other side of the street are evacuated).  The damage is really localized so you can still drive through many parts of town and not be aware of what's happened except for all the street closures are traffic congestion near the mudslide areas.

It was a lot more difficult than I expected to get to the house where I needed to work due to all the street closures and heavy equipment in the area.  Excavation is running 24x7 and the freeway is lined with dump trucks taking away the debris.  One big issue now is where to dump all this stuff... right now most of it is being dumped on the local beaches which have all been closed due to contamination.

Grocery stores even far away from the mudslides were becoming empty, but the store near our house finally started to get shipments and restock again on Monday.  Still lots of people that can't get to work, so most businesses are very understaffed (or staffed by temp help) and those that are there are putting in long days.

People I know who are evacuated and staying at the resorts and hotels say that most of the staff there are working 18-20 hour days because they are so short handed.

Due to the fires, holidays and now the mudslides I've only worked 3 days in the last 6 weeks.  Hopefully the freeway and some roads will reopen next week so I can get access to projects again.

This is one of my client's homes lost in the mudslide.  Reports are that mud and boulders broke through the glass on the front of the house and then pushed all the contents out the back of the house.  The home was visible in the background of local news coverage a couple days ago, and it's almost unrecognizable:
[Link: homeadore.com]

What's strange is this house is only 1400 feet away from the house where I was working yesterday which was untouched...

www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse