The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 16:30
imt
Long Time Member
June 2007
Round 1 of Sonos integration was open to certain partners and URC is part of round 2, which is now.

However, I do not understand why URC isn't a little more forthcoming in the email. I get what will happen if a customer does the next Sonos upgrade and how that will affect the ability to browse music sources under the current module. However, they then say that the new 2 way module will loose that ability as well, since its not part of Sonos's certification protocols. This will affect all automation control systems. So what I want to know upfront is what can one expect in the new module. What can/can't be controlled. I assume that there should be a doc somewhere outlining what any certified product could control under Sonos Certification.

On January 17, 2018 at 13:22, Audiophiliac said...

When I sell any kind of platform for streaming services now, I disclaim that there is always the chance of change on the part of the content providers, the hardware manufacturers, and the control system manufacturers. Nothing is forever, especially with the pace of "advancement" in technology. In the end, it is about $$ of course. Spotify wants more subscribers. SONOS wants to move more boxes. URC, C4, Elan, want to move more boxes. Control4 went the route of managing the music services themselves. That was a good move for them. URC has done the same with the SNP. Elan sort of has an option with LMS and the Speakercraft and Niles boxes, but it is not an apple to apples comparison with SONOS IMHO.

With Sonos's move to allow certified 3d party control, it seems the content providers (Spotify, Pandora, etc) themselves are forcing you into using their direct App to have the full control experience. The Sonos app has more limited options (ala Pandora and I think Spotify as well). Sonos was king with content and control as well as the largest user base. If content providers have wrestled that away from the likes of Sonos whose to say that this functionality won't stop working in boxes provided by C4, URC, Autonomic, etc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse