The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 13:26
Old Man River
Long Time Member
February 2008
On January 17, 2018 at 13:22, Audiophiliac said...
Haha! This is old news by now. The question I have is why it took so long for Elan and URC (and probably others) to finally decide to jump on board with the SONOS Endorsed API partner program and write an officially supported driver. Was it SONOS that pushed them back? Was it Elan and URC that thought they could keep re-engineering their drivers every time SONOS made a change?

jrainey said it. Regardless of the 3rd party integration limitations, which I still hope will expand at some point, it continues to be the most trouble free, content rich (find another product that has access to the range of music service availability that SONOS has), reliable, easy to configure, flexible to install, continuously updated and improved (that last one is subjective of course as there seem to be people who cannot figure out how to swipe up or down), music streamer on the market. Period. Our SONOS clients love it. Even the ones that are using a mix of 2 apps currently.

When I sell any kind of platform for streaming services now, I disclaim that there is always the chance of change on the part of the content providers, the hardware manufacturers, and the control system manufacturers. Nothing is forever, especially with the pace of "advancement" in technology. In the end, it is about $$ of course. Spotify wants more subscribers. SONOS wants to move more boxes. URC, C4, Elan, want to move more boxes. Control4 went the route of managing the music services themselves. That was a good move for them. URC has done the same with the SNP. Elan sort of has an option with LMS and the Speakercraft and Niles boxes, but it is not an apple to apples comparison with SONOS IMHO.

My biggest beef is that I do not want to have to tell my clients or potential clients that they have to pick from these handful of music streaming services because that is all my control system can handle. When they are deep into Spotify or Apple Music, or have uploaded their entire collection to Amazon Music, or Google, or whatever, now I have to try and tell them why the solution I want to sell them because I get [half ass] control of it from the control system interface, only supports services X, Y, and Z. I could sell you a SONOS that would do what you want, and has a superior user interface, and would likely be a much more enjoyable experience for you, buuuuuuut you might have to open another app on your phone once in a while to add a new favorite or playlist, etc. and you do not seem smart enough to handle that level of technical prowess (of course you would not say that part out loud, but it is implied by lots of comments I have read regarding this controversial topic). You would not sell someone a CD changer when all their albums are on vinyl. Selling someone who uses Apple Music a streaming device that does not support it is essentially the same thing.

All the other options, including HEOS, Fusion, Autonomic, LMS, seem to be polarizing in experiences and opinions by integrators here and on other forums. I have seen glowing reviews of product A alongside other CIs who claim 150% failure rate with the same product. That that is pretty much with any of the above mentioned products. I have not seen but a handful of hardware/firmware/support/warranty issues addressed about SONOS. It is a brilliantly engineered, well built, thoroughly tested, product that is very very good at what it does.

SONOS FTW. Take that Old Man River....go get violent now. :)

Get off my lawn!
Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Hosting Services by ipHouse