Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Tuesday January 16, 2018 at 11:45
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
I don't know if the mudslides here are even making it on national news anymore, but it's been a big catastrophe locally.  The slides happened one week ago today and 20 people are dead and 3 still missing including a 2 year old girl.

Everyone has been affected in at least some way.  Many people know someone who's been injured or killed and almost everyone knows someone who's had property damage.  Access to Montecito is still restricted and they're still working on damage assessment, but seems to be around 100 homes destroyed and 200 more with damage.

I have two clients with homes destroyed (one I've shared photos and video of here on the message board), and many more with some extent of damage.  All of my clients with extensive damage were lucky enough to have evacuated and weren't at home when it happened.  Many of them still aren't really sure how bad their damage is.

Lots of homes are still without utilities (power, water, gas, internet), but I've started to see a few properties come back online which means electric & internet services have been restored .

The freeway has been closed since the accident and expected to remain closed for at least another week.  All the surface streets are also shut down and inaccessible so there's absolutely no way to drive south of Santa Barbara or North of Summerland without taking a detour which makes what's usually a 20-25 minuter drive take 5-6 hours.

The train is running now, but very crowded and seeing delays so people that have been trying to take the train to work or to meet family have also been spending hours traveling a short distance.  Two of the whale watching boats are running a ferry service to help people get around the landslide area by water.

Because of the difficulty with travel, most businesses have lots of employees not able to get to work and deliveries have been delayed and erratic.  All my current projects are completely cut off by the mudslides (roads closed, bridges destroyed) and will be at least another week before I can get back to any of them.

Looks like it's going to be a long time before things are back to normal!
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse