The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Friday January 12, 2018 at 09:21
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 11, 2018 at 23:26, buzz said...
The electrician installed networking that I’ve come across has nicked wires from when the cable jacket was removed. While these terminations might work for a while, they’ll fail over time or if they are flexed. And there could be an extra inch or two of removed jacket. Electricians have no concept of “bandwidth” and they’ll use the cheapest wire that they can find. And I’ve seen jobs where one man used “A” while the other man used “B”.

Right- they think in terms of power, lights, switches and motors. They have no idea about why they shouldn't run new wiring adjacent and parallel to LV cabling. They're often lazy and opportunistic, too- they think its OK to use any hole that's drilled as a route for their wiring, even if it was drilled by someone else and has a pull cord passing through it.

I'm working on a job that has taken far too long and the current electricians (no pun intended) were asked to install a light fixture in a pantry where the lighting should have been settled over 6 months ago. I asked if they had thought about using some kind of switches like Caseta about a year ago and they declined, but I guess I should have considered the possibility that the wiring would have been a CF, based on the stated wants/needs of the homeowners and their lighting "expert"/kitchen designer. The new electrician waltzed in, said "Caseta" and I went there one day, only to see sixteen Caseta switches. Thanks. The homeowners decided the hanging fixture in the pantry (really?) should be on a dimmer, separate from the other lights, so the dimmer was placed inside of the sink cabinet, with the wiring going to the J-box that was supposed to be used ONLY for the TV I need to install. The problem- the guy who added this wiring decided that it's OK to enter the box with his Romex on the left side, which is where my flexible conduit comes in from the top. Now, I have to wait even longer for that to be repaired in order to install the effing TV and I'm the guy who's constantly asked when things will be finished.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse