The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Tuesday January 9, 2018 at 09:15
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 8, 2018 at 14:58, buzz said...
For me, lack of flexibility is a major disadvantage, mainly due to the solid center conductor.

I didn't mean to imply that flexibility is a small problem, just that it's about the only problem. I'm also not recommending RG6 for this use, but instead pointing out that it COULD be used for this. While I'm highly in favor of using just the right product, I also recognize that sometimes things are run that we have to use, and it's good to understand ahead of time whether there will be a performance problem, and just what that problem might be, when not using one's first choice.

I'm also not fond of the (typically) aluminum shields. I'll use stranded RG59 with a copper braid shield, then terminate with soldered RCA plugs.

Yes.
Otherwise the most practical termination is an F-connector and F-connector to RCA adapter, but this is too much of a Rube Goldberg arrangement.

This is the combination that introduced me to the odd world of using RG6 for video. The introduction was "here, meet some wiring that has failed. The installer used a wire he couldn't solder to, which required an additional point of possible failure (the connection between the center conductor and the adaptor) at each end of the cable."
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse