The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Monday January 8, 2018 at 12:24
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
I dont know how else to explain it. We had RG6 meant for a DirecTV satellite dish installation at the job site. Black coaxial cable rolled around a spool. We also had a spool of black "mini rg-59" aka 23 gauge Serial Digital cable rolled around a spool sitting next to it.

To be clear. I did not roll the wire around the spool. The painter didn't do it. The cable manufacturer did it. Just wanted to make sure that you didn't start investigating the possibility of wire being too tightly wound around a spool or whether or not the spool was actually a space heater etc. Basically we had two rolls of wire sitting on a floor at a construction site.

The electrician incorrectly grabbed the RG6 when he pulled the wire between the AVR cabinet and the subwoofer location.

For some reason unkown to me...the subwoofer even when the AVR was off...would "woof" like it was receiving a signal.

And NO...there were no DirecTV receivers connected between the AVR and the subwoofer unless someone (was it you, Ernie?) brought one in before drywall and installed it into the wall cavities and some how powered it with an outlet that no one could find to drive me crazy.

Using analog audio over Cat5 baluns solved the problem. The problem being we needed the subwoofer to operate normally.

No one has ever investigated the RG6. The labor hours to troubleshoot cost more than a pair of baluns.

Adding...
Before this we had never used RG6 for a subwoofer location.
After this we have never used RG6 for a subwoofer.
The only reason RG6 was used for the subwoofer here is because it was pulled by mistake.

I dont know if RG6 works just fine for subs. I dont know if it always causes a problem. I dont know because i have never had a reason to use RG6 for a sub so i have no experience with how it behaves.

This is what we pull between AVR's and Subwoofers. Serial Digital gets used 99.99999999% of the time.

Serial Digital mini rg59
Cat5
14/4
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse