The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday January 8, 2018 at 11:50
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 8, 2018 at 09:11, highfigh said...
They all make distance claims, but those always depend on perfect conditions, outside, on a clear day and without other interference.

And tvfool.com will give you very clear information as to what stations you can receive; will classify the distance range they should be specced for; and will provide a map to tell you which direction to point.

On January 8, 2018 at 10:38, rmalbers said...
Actually, that one dipole element looks way too long for UHF so my bet is that they advertise this as a UHF/VHF antenna, lol!

Don't laugh too much -- one dipole like that will work pretty well for upper band VHF. That's Channels 7 - 13), and of course I mean Channel ASSIGNMENTS 7 - 13, not channel NAMES 7.1 - 13.1.

I use a Yagi style antenna that's UHF combined with a pair of elements like that and it works great.

I assume there are two wire loops of different size in those round plastic things for UHF. This would work for local stations but with UHF it's such a YMMV thing with tower height, transmitter power ('usually' very high) and terrain.

YMMV, indeed. One client had hills to the east and north and really wanted to get the local PBS station located thirty miles to the east. All the VHF stations came in on an antenna pointed right at the hill to the east, but that PBS station's signal came in strongest from due north! So that's where we pointed the UHF antenna.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse