The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Saturday January 6, 2018 at 20:24
Mac Burks (39)
Elite Member
May 2007
Support for companies who normally do multi-room systems usually goes like this.

1. System is installed.
2. A few call backs due to bugs and user error.
3. Then you either don't hear from them until something breaks years later or you hear from them right away and you end up dealing with a service nightmare that you usually resolve on your own dime. Eventually you wrap the system up and move on.

Now what?

I recently read a post here where some guy was trying to reprogram a mastermind remote because his 30 year old AV Receiver finally failed. How did that happen? How did the guy who was so into AV that he purchased a programmable remote 30 years ago...end up with a 30 year old AVR?

Does he know about HD? Was he lucky enough to totally avoid 3D? Does he think 4K is a youth organization where kids allover the country learn-by-doing? [Link: 4-h.org]

Our existing customers are the least expensive future work leads. If i owned the business i would offer a free annual or hell...quarterly...system checkup. I have never been into a house that didn't need something. Sometimes its the at college but home sometimes kids who accidentally delete the crestron app from the rooms dedicated iPad...or they unplug the remote so they can plug their phone up...even though they have accessible outlets everywhere. Sometimes its a high end projector that hasn't been touched in 9 months...that locked up. At some point someone is going to try and use it and find it not working and think "this stuff never works right". Beat them to it. Fix it. Reboot it. Replace it.

Find out who your client is...big sports fan? Hosts a family reunion every August? Has everyone over to watch the ball drop? Base your site visit on that event and get in there and test drive the system and fix things...and talk about new technology thats available.

You aren't nagging them. You are the pro they hired before. You are mentioning new technology to them. They are happy you are there.

A perfect example right now is Alexa. It takes about 1 hour to add voice control to the average Lutron Homeworks QS system. You can turn all of Amazons hard work into a 5 figure project (labor & parts to install dots everywhere)...and while we are here why not upgrade to 4K...
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse